So I was thinking I’d be doing some traveling this summer, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen after all, outside of some very brief weekend trips here and there. And for a while I was pitying myself over that.
But no more! I am going to enjoy myself, dammit. I am going to make sure I do things that generate more fun, for myself and sometimes for others. This is a season of fun and laughter and carefree merriment, and I need to make myself embrace that.
So. Herewith: my bucket list for the summer of 2017; or, rather, my bucket lists, because I this thing has run so long it’s got entire categories.
- Making my own popsicles.
- Making my own ice cream.
- Eating ice cream from a Mister Softee Truck.
- Making an ice cream sundae.
- Keeping the fridge stocked with peppermint iced tea.
- Eating corn on the cob.
- Making pies and letting them cool on the windowsill.
- Eating a peach.
- Eating watermelon.
- Eating a tomato sandwich.
- Eating a fried clam roll.
- Keeping various flavored sugar syrups on hand for funky flavored cocktails and iced desserts.
IDLE THINGS TO DO
- Run through a sprinkler or a hydrant.
- Do a cannonball.
- Skip stones.
- Build a sand castle.
- Spend an hour blowing bubbles.
- Fly a kite.
- Go barefoot.
- Read in a hammock.
- Side goal – reading 3 new books.
THINGS TO WATCH
- The sunset
- The Perseids
- A thunderstorm
THE WAY I LOOK
- Make and wear a flower crown.
- Get a pedicure with bright nail polish.
- Wear a sundress with a swirly skirt.
- Wear bright lipstick.
ENTERTAINMENT AND OTHER FUN
- Go to at least three free outdoor movies.
- Bonus – one of them has to be The Warriors.
- See at least two free concerts.
- Go to a late-night dance event.
- Throw picnics.
- Hold an outdoor tea party.
- Ride the Cyclone and the Wonder Wheel.
- Water slides.
- Mini golf.
- Make out with someone.
- See a movie in a drive in.
- Explore 3 new neighborhoods I’ve never been to.
- Take a class in shibori-style tie dying.
- Go on a road trip.
- Get more stamps in my National Parks Passport.
- Go on 3 hikes.
- Try inner tubing.
- Stay overnight in a cabin.
- Stay overnight in a tent.
- Round up some friends and play backyard games like tag or Red Rover for a night.
- Have a water fight.
So whaddya think? A good summer, yes?